Thursday, September 1, 2011

Lumberjack Fail

It was a reunion the other day with Josh of Josh in Japan returning to America to take on the recently opened Mission Valley Cafe, part of the San Diego Homecooking franchise AKA the new Lake Murray Cafe.  For those who don't know, Lake Murray was our main spot, pretty much our Monk's Cafe from Seinfeld.  However, small portions became more and more common and then I began a boycott around Thanksgiving when they gave me half-baked dinner rolls which nearly ruined the meal.

But I digress.  Josh in Japan, LandonwhereBrandon, and I decided to give this place a try.  While Josh is still adjusting to American food from the steep transition of Japanese gourmet, I tried to pick up the slack and ordered our favorite dish: the Lumberjack.

Three eggs, half plate of potatoes, four bacon strips, and three sausage links and...

...three plate sized pancakes

Needless to say, this is our most frequently ordered dish due to its size and variety.  I've defeated this dish numerous times before but on this day, my friends, the starch was angry.  The eggs were tenacious and the potatoes were ludicrous.  The Lumberjack defeated me:

Lumberjack Fail

Back at Lake Murray we would keep records of our wins/losses, and by that I mean if someone couldn't finish their meal they would be made fun of and we would all remember it.  I'm pretty sure this is the first time I couldn't finish the Lumberjack, and this is from a jerk who regularly practices at buffets.  But I'll tell you this - that Lumberjack was bigger than any Lumberjack that Lake Murray had served us in the months leading up to the boycott.  I may return to Lake Murray soon, but this place is nice.  

Also, Josh presented me with a bag of Japanese candy, compliments of Kentaro!

Candy!

Some really interesting stuff in here, including a three foot long gummy worm, some taffy that's the equivalent of a really, really good Starburst, and really, really good jelly beans.  

Snack food

I guess the best comparison for the Big Katsu is fried beef jerky.  This one is actually chicken with sort of a breaded honey glaze to it.  Those long deals you see are kind of like cylinder cheese balls with a variety of flavors, one of which actually tasted exactly like a cheese ball.  Very cool stuff.  Thanks a lot, Kentaro!

Thanks for reading!