Sunday, August 26, 2012

Riva Fish House

The Riva Fish House is a gnarly restaurant on a pier down the beach from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in, surprise-surprise, Santa Cruz, CA.

No, I did not order fish, though I wanted to after stumbling across their menu online and seeing that they had shark.  Much to my disappointment, the menu I had found was out-of-date and they no longer had shark because they're an endangered species or whatever that foreign concept is.

Naturally I ordered the chicken:

Ordering chicken at a fish place is like going to a hockey rink for a baseball game

This was a Teriyaki sandwich and it was good.  Messy, but good.  Nothing outstanding or overly memorable but it was ample fuel for the day.  

One of the things that bugged me about this place is that it's situated in such a position that around 5 o'clock the sun beams into the restaurant at a perfect 45 degree angle and blinds anyone in the line of fire.  And since I was seated toward the sun I was doing my best Bruce Springsteen impersonation and was blinded by the light like a douche in the night.

This is a piece of chocolate cake from a place that looked like Starbucks but probably wasn't

Oh, and here's something that was consumed from V's Diner in King City, CA, which is a spit of a town on the 101 en route to Pismo Beach. 

It's like I'm eating school food again, yay!

V's is a quiet, clean diner in the middle of nowhere.  The food was microwaved hot enough but seriously, this is the kinda stuff I got while at State that would beat my digestive system into a lumpy pulp every other week. I dunno, call me old fashioned, but for a diner in a tiny town halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, I'd expect the food to be a little more...cooked?  Fresh?  Involved?  But whatever.  It brought back some pleasant memories of forcing down greasy fried crap from the UT Grill.