Thursday, April 5, 2012

My First Pizza

Last month I wrote a post about my Birthday Binge which included gifts from my family of a pizza stone, pizza peel, and a cookbook. As I've said many times before, one of my favorite things is pretending that I know how to cook. Now I think it's time to actually turn myself into someone who really knows their way around the kitchen.

So the other day, with the help of my mother since I needed a seasoned veteran in the kitchen, we attempted to make a pizza. Day 1 was a failure because the yeast wouldn't rise. Tried it like four times - wouldn't work. The next day tried it another four times. Eventually it did rise, but what the hell? Might be something in the San Diego water that yeast doesn't like. Oh well. Anyway, mixed the yeast with the flour, made the dough, rolled it out, and came up with this:

I call this "Hip to Be Square"

On the stone, ready to go


Yeah, it came out a little dark, but it tasted pretty good. I think next time it'll need a minute or two less in the oven and a little more seasoning on top. But for a first time this tasted pretty good. I look forward to more.

Thank you family for the most wonderful inspiration gift! I love you!

Thanks for reading!