Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Chicken Sandwich and Waffle Fries...FOR FREE!

The other day, Josh in Japan, LandonWhereBrandon, What If Featuring Amar Pawar, and I went to Chick fil-A, some place near the Sports Arena (which was once home to the San Diego Rockets and San Diego Clippers before they bolted for Houston and Los Angeles).  When we got there, Landon was like "what's that smell like?"  We're like "well, it's the Sports Arena."  He was like "whatever".

In true Unforgivable spirit, I ordered a chicken sandwich with some waffle fries and a Dr. Pepper, as seen here:

FO' FREE!!!!

So you're probably reading this and wondering what the hell I'm talking about.  There's a popular series of short videos on YouTube called "Unforgivable."  The first and most widely known video contains the meme dialogue of "get me a chicken sandwich and waffle fries...FOR FREE!"  The video went viral in 2006 and prior to its release I had no idea what Chick fil-A was.  And, oh yeah, it features extreme profanity, strong sexual dialogue, and crude racial/sexual stereotyping, so if you're offended by any of that then this definitely isn't for you.  However, if you have an immature sense of humor such as I do, then you may actually enjoy its underlying comedy.  Click here to check out the video.  If you're gonna skip it, here's the guy in the video discussing his day:

Yeah, he didn't have a very good day, but the food was probably good

This particular video was first introduced to me by BrandonWhereLandon (LandonWhereBrandon's former roommate).  Recently we discovered that there's a local Chick fil-A and decided to give it a try.  Well, actually, Landon, Amar, and I decided to give it a try.  Josh was already well familiar with this chain and repeatedly chastised us for being such newbs.  

The quality of food was impressive.  I really wasn't expecting this stuff to taste as good as it did.  The chicken was moist and "cooked" perfectly (I highly doubt they cook anything in the traditional sense).  The waffle fries were delicious.  Heck, even the Dr. Pepper, which I only ordered because that's what the Unforgivable Guy orders, tasted alright.  A little on the pricey side for fast food, but the quality I think is worth it.

Now, there's one other thing that we got into a debate over.  Chick fil-A claims "We Didn't Invent the Chicken, Just the Chicken Sandwich."  Josh believes this to be fact.  As he put it: "It's obviously 100% fact."  However, I call shenanigans on the whole thing.  You're telling me that 1.8 million years of human history and not once prior to 1940-whatever did some jerk somewhere cook a chicken and put it on bread?  I don't buy that for a second.  Josh suggests that until Chick fil-A opened, chicken sandwiches never appeared on menus anywhere, so in business terms, Chick fil-A did invent the sandwich.  Perhaps that's true in some sense, but to take full credit for it?  I don't buy it.  What do you think?

And just FYI - the guy in the video is an actor. 

Thanks for reading!