Sunday, June 12, 2011

Dick's Liquor - Funniest Store Name Ever?

No kidding.  There's a place in La Jolla called Dick's Liquor:

The sign

The intersection

Every time I see this place I laugh.  Either this Dick guy has a really good sense of humor or has a really bad sense of humor.  The only thing funnier would be if the "'S" fell off or didn't light up at night.  

In an effort to keep this blog PG, I'll refrain from the list of dirty jokes I have about this place...though this is probably where Congressman Anthony Wiener goes to get his booz...ok, seriously now I'm done. 

Time for some food!  Here are some pics from my latest buffet adventure at the Great Plaza Buffet in Pacific Beach, CA:

New York Steak, mashed potatoes, garlic bread, and strawberries

Orange chicken, hot pepper chicken, honey chicken, teriyaki chicken

"Chicken leg", more potatoes, and salad.  More on this "chicken leg" below

Decided to combine the transitional plate with the dessert:

Watermelon, strawberries, Jello, a mango-flavored cake and a cream puff

About that chicken...I swear...that was not real chicken.  It didn't even taste like real meat.  It tasted...fake.  It just didn't taste real.  It was weird.  I've never had chicken that had that kind of weird flavor.  The other weird thing about it was how cleanly it was sliced at the bone.  Check it out:

The "chicken leg"

Ok, so obviously this came from some mass packaging and processing facility, but I have never before seen a leg cut like this and so cleanly.  Maybe it was an octo-chicken bred to have 8 legs for mass production.  I dunno.

Also, you know Klondike Bars?  Last year they started making Neapolitan flavored bars and I was yet to find them anywhere...until today:




Neapolitan - the three best ice cream flavors combined into one.  Perfect.

Thanks for reading!