Thursday, February 3, 2011

What's the Difference Between Red Vines and Cherry Vines?

This is a question I found myself asking upon walking into a San Diego CVS when I found these:


I can't remember a time where I actually had Cherry Vines.  I know I've seen them before but it never really registered that they were significantly different from the traditional Red Vines.  They're still pretty good - tastes a lot like Twizzlers.  

But the question is --- if these are cherry, then what flavor are the original Red Vines considered?  Red Vines' brief Wikipedia page says they were originally raspberry up until 1952 when they were changed to simply "original" and comparable to Twizzlers...except Twizzlers are more comparable to the Cherry Vines.  

I'm stumped.  If you have an idea what the flavor of the "original Red Vines" is, let me know.