Saturday, April 30, 2016

Karl Strauss Asada Fries - With Cheese Whiz?

So I've been on the "Passover Purge" for a week where I refused any form of bread, crackers, cake, etc. When we went to Karl Strauss last week I was kind of limited in what I could order but alas the "Asada Fries" jumped off the page to me.

On a plate they look quite attractive as you'll see here:


Pretty dish presentation for sure. You've got the steak, gorgonzola, avocado-chimichurri, cilantro, pickled onion, and chipotle ketchup...and house-made jalapeno cheese-whiz...

I dunno, dude. Cheese whiz? When I think of cheese-whiz I think of this:


To me this is, like, a cheap imitation cheese product, right? It's overly processed junk is what it is. So...what exactly is "homemade" cheese whiz? What does that comprise of? This is what I don't understand. It seems to me that utilizing cheese whiz over real cheese is a pretty lame way to save a few bucks. Overall it added an odd texture and peculiar taste to an otherwise solid dish. Karl Strauss boasts some really tasty fries and the steak was delicious as well. So why use cheese whiz? I don't know. I don't understand.

KARL STRAUSS
ASADA FRIES (WITH "HOMEMADE" CHEESE WHIZ)
ONE AND A HALF GARGANTOS
OUT OF FOUR